How to determine Shoe Size
- It is best to have your child's foot measured by a brannock measuring device by our qualified shoe fitting specialists. Tip: the child's foot measurement on a brannock foot measuring device can be different than the shoe size recommended, as we will allow extra room for growth.
- Shoes sizes/fit recommendations can vary depending on the style and manufacturer.
- Width can vary depending on the shoe and the shape of your child's foot.
- Some children can have high insteps (top portion of their foot is thick), while others can have a wide width across the toe joint or "ball" portion.
- If your child has a high instep (top part of the foot is thick) then look for a shoe that is taller in height across the instep and opens up deep for ease of putting on and extra adjustment. Tip: A shoe style labeled wide width does not necessarily fit deeper than another style in a medium width... if you need recommendations please contact us and we will be happy to help!
At Home foot measuring
Once you have taken your child's foot measurements and you wish to order shoes on-line, please feel free to contact us and we will help you determine the right size for your child before placing your order.
- Have your child stand on a ruler or tape measure placed up against a wall on a hard, flat floor surface.
- Have your child's full weight on the foot you are measuring.
- Check to see if your child is curling their toes, if so flatten them out.
- Measure both feet. Many children will have one foot bigger than the other.
- Tip: If you are measuring a toddler, have someone steady your child while you focus on their feet!
- In store: we will usually go up a half size from what we measure your child, unless we know the shoe fits small or larger than average.
- Check the shoe style on our website to see if there are any additional fitting tips or recommendations. If we are aware that a style fits considerably larger or smaller we will include these tips.
- Tips on specific brands are found on this page below.
Shoe Size Options on our Website
We use US (North American) sizing on our website.
View the below chart to see how we group our size ranges.
Note: Some Youth sizes with have "(Y)" beside the size to help clarify youth vs first walker sizes.
Our drop down menu is usually listed smallest to largest size.